05 May How To Change Your Life Just By Changing Your Mind
Understanding Your Belief System & the Role it Plays in Defining or Destroying Your Life
We were created to believe. It’s part of our human nature, survival instincts, and rationale It’s part of how we learn, and how we grow. Don’t believe me? Consider this. Elevators are pretty cool, right? You press a button, and these doors open up to a metal box. Press another button, the doors close, and, whoosh, up you go! Then the doors open and you have reached your destination. Are you shocked every time you end up at your destination? Unless you have a fear of elevators, probably not. Why is that? It’s because you have found that when you push the button, that little metal box takes you to where you need to go. Now, if you have ever been stuck in an elevator, you may think twice about whether or not you’ll end up where you’re supposed to. This is because what you once believed has been altered by your experiences.
This is just an example, but you could correlate your beliefs with every area of your life. Your beliefs shape your decisions, your attitude, your relationships, your self-view, your identity, and essentially everything about your life. You can’t help it, you were created to believe. Because of this, if we are not intentional with our beliefs, we will accumulate beliefs as we go through life. Even people who claim not to believe in anything, believe in their disbelief.
Your belief system is the filter through which you view, understand, and respond to life.
We often chase the wrong things, because we believe they will make us happy. Maybe we chase after having the best stuff, the newest phone, or the nicest car on the block. We long to find a soul mate or friend group, that will finally bring a sense of belonging. Maybe our heart’s desire is to be admired- surely that’s where happiness comes from. Or perhaps, you’re a thrill-seeker, always looking for the next rush. It’s human nature to seek happiness, understanding, direction. But between advertisements, social media, and plain human nature, we are overwhelmed with clouded belief systems that promise everything, and deliver nothing but short lived answers. The truth is, you can have an endless supply of resources and relationships, but you won’t experience true peace and satisfaction until you know the real source of joy. When you are connected to God and have a healthy belief system, you can find yourself content in any situation.
How to Correct & Develop Your Belief System:
1. Learn what is true
- Proverbs 23:23 NCV Learn the truth and never reject it. Get wisdom, self-control, and understanding.
- God’s Word is Truth, and it will bring clarity, peace, and understanding to your life.
2. Discern what is False
- 1 John 4:1 MSG Don’t believe everything you hear. Carefully weigh and examine what people tell you. Not everyone who talks about God comes from God. There are a lot of lying preachers loose in the world.
- When negative thoughts or beliefs flood your mind, compare them to God’s word. Take action against negative beliefs in your life and take control of your thoughts.
3. Let the Word, not the world, transform you.
- Romans 12:2 NIV Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and prove what God’s will is, his good, pleasing, and perfect will.
- Spend time with God in His Word, and watch your mind transform! It’s hard to understand this concept until you experience it, but once you begin to experience your transformation, you will know the power of God’s Word!
- Filter what you allow into your life. You wouldn’t want to drink water or eat food that had been contaminated by animals, chemicals, waste runoff, or anything else that is dangerous or even just bad-tasting. We care about the physical things we put into our body, let’s care about what we allow to impact our spirit! The people you spend time with, the things you read, the shows you watch- these can all affect your belief system, positively or negatively. Be proactive about protecting and filtering what you allow into your life.
4. Concern yourself with God’s agenda.
- Luke 12:31 TLB God will always give you all you need from day to day if you will make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.
- I am always happiest when I am sensitive and responsive to God’s will for my life. By being part of God’s agenda, you will flow in your purpose & live out the life you are designed to live!
Click here to download the Bible app, which makes it easier than ever to spend time in God’s Word. It has various translations and reading plans available, so your bible experience is customized to your personal needs. You can also check out some great reading plans here.
Share this post with somebody & if you haven’t already, sign up for our email list to get encouragement delivered straight to your inbox!