Overcome Fear, Anxiety, Worrying, & Stress
Root Causes of Worrying:
Having a false idea of what God is really like
Assuming responsibility for something God never intended for us to be responsible for
Not knowing about God’s promises for our lives
Just naturally allowing a negative attitude in life
The Solution to Worrying:
Identify the Source!
- What’s causing your worry? Earl Nightingale shared some research. In a study, they discovered that 40% of all our worries never happen. How many things have you worried about that never happened? They also found that 30% of worries concern things in the past. Those things can’t be changed, you can’t unscramble those eggs! 12% of worries are needless concerns about health, 10% are designated as petty miscellaneous worries, and only 8% are legitimate concerns.
- If you are worried right now, grab a piece of paper and write down your worries. Give them a name and a face. This clears the clutter in your mind and gives you a first step to addressing your worries
Matthew 6:25-27 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life- whether you have enough food or drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing?
- Stop worrying and start trusting. As we begin to know the Lord, we understand more and more how he cares for us. As we begin to lift our fears up to Him, He shows us that He is faithful to take care of us. When I was a kid needing lunch money, I would just go and ask my dad. I didn’t worry about how he got the money or where it came from, that wasn’t my responsibility. Just as a loving parent cares for their child, even more so does the Lord care for us!
Psalm 37:3 NLT Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper!
Delight yourself in the Lord!
Psalm 37:4 NLT Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires.
- As you learn to enjoy spending time with God, you will find that your life has more balance, more peace. The joy of the Lord is our strength, and as we develop our joy, and strengthen our Spirit, we are stronger and better equipped to handle the stresses of life. This scripture isn’t a guarantee that all your prayers will be answered as you see fit, (though don’t forget about all those promises the Lord is committed to!) but rather, that as you spend time with Him, your hearts deepest desires and needs will be met, and you will find wholeness in Him.
Commit your ways to the Lord.
Psalm 37:5-6 NIV Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
- How do you commit your ways to the Lord? You pray. When you begin to feel fear set in, pray. When you don’t know what to do, pray. Let your response be prayer instead of panic.
- If I were to ask you to throw a 200-pound rock fifty yards, you would say it’s impossible. But if I told you just to drop it, anyone can do that! That’s what God wants you to do with your problems, he wants you to drop them and allow Him to carry the weight for you.
Live a God-First Life!
- We were created to live in fellowship and connection with God. Putting God first in our lives honors and glorifies Him, but it also fills the hole within our souls. God truly becomes your anchor, and as the tides of life try to pull you in whichever way, you can sleep easy, knowing that you are anchored by the one who is greater than your storm.